Friday, January 29, 2010

madonna is metal as fuck

ok, so i like to think im into at least something from every style of music, and in the pop category I have to admit that lately ive had a re-obsession with madonna.

Now i'll tell you straight out, i know you've seen these music videos a thousand fucking times growing up (if you're 25 or older), but watch them again after my commentary.

Papa Don't Preach - It came out in 1986, and because of mostly this fact alone, from the time i first have memories in life, I was hearing this song regularly in my life on the radio, i was turning 4. By the time i was 7, I probably could have sung along with all the words in the song for you, and I remember not knowing what any of the lyrics meant, but thinking it was so damn catchy.

I got turned off by madonna by the time she was like, doing the soundtrack song for an austin powers movie... it was just too... POP. like commercial pop, so i pretty much eliminated any madonna from my ears until the rebirth of new wave in 2004 or so.

So here at age 27 i redownloaded her entire discography since I hadn't rocked that shit since i was a kid, and one of the first ones i listened to was papa don't preach. It seemed like it was the first time I had heard it since the 80s, and now as an adult I just realized for the first time that I understood what all the lyrics were about.

I instantly was remembering conservative reagan era politics in our country and how bringing up abortion and teen pregnancy openly in public was pretty taboo. and, she looks so HOT in the video! the whole thing is just so fucking PUNK! "fuck you, im going to make a song about real shit that happens to kids, real heavy choices they have to make, and im going to make it irresistable for you to listen to"


Papa Don't Preach Video




Lucky Star - again, alongside michael jackson, this was one of those songs that I grew up with. one of the songs that has just existed for eternity as it is. Once I youtubed this shit again after not seeing the video for literally 17 years, I instantly understood everything so much more. My mind is thoughroughly blown for how fucking cool she knew how to be in the 80s. Her outfit? its fucking incredible! her singing and little touches? so cool!

Lucky Star video



like a prayer - same thing, I youtubed it and realized I hadnt watched it in literally 17 years. Having needing to up the bar in controversiality at the dawn of the decade of the 90s, she started using and misusing tons of religious imagery in the public eye. I remember watching this video at like age 7 and not even knowing anything about christianity or jesus and trying to understand what it all meant. I was pleased with all her religious button-pushing like a) being dressed sexy in a church b) insinuating jesus is black c) having sexual tension with jesus.... and then around 3:15 it kicks in to that shot of her in front of a field of burning crosses. YES!!!! holy shit, she knew exactly what she was doing and I never even realized it when i was a kid. Conservative christians were just SQUIRMING when they saw that video, man.

Good job madonna, thats all.

Like A Prayer Video

No comments:

Post a Comment