Friday, June 24, 2011

BATILLUS



I think i might have had these guys come up on last.fm radio or something when i told it some bands I liked. They nailed the mood that i'm often after in more extreme metal -- utter pissed off helpless desperation. i'll hand em that. it was enough for me to check out their album.

its good, but I don't think it could make it into any of my regular rotations. sadly, thats almost totally due to the production rather than just the music.

I have nothing to back this up, but i get the intuition that some of these doomsters are inspired by old school dark industrial music... it could be the frontman's post industrial look or some of their interludes on the album, but the point is, i think it is from that influence that they made the mistake of overproducing the vocals. He's pissed, i buy it! we don't need the constant phaser, chorus, distortion, and carlsbad-cavern-sized ever-present reverb to reinforce that! My ear was totally exhausted after listening to the album once because of the production on the vocals, and its a shame because there are a few gems of riffage and discontent in there. i think this was one of the best tracks on the album.

also, why was your album art so poorly thrown together? if you would have got some proper artwork and cleaned up the vocal processing we could really have something here

No comments:

Post a Comment